[vtkusers] curious about differences in vtkMassProperties for VTK 5.04 and VTK 5.4.2

Azim azimjinha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:27:06 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I have a small python VTK function that calculates the volume and surface area of an object embedded in a stack of TIFF images.  To read the TIFFs into VTK I have used vtkTIFFReader and processed the result using vtkImageThreshold and vtkImageGaussianSmooth libraries.  I then use vtkMassProperties to extract the volume and surface area of the object identified after smoothing and thresholding.

With VTK-5.04, this function returns the correct value for a test stack (3902 pixels). However, the same function returns a different value (422 pixels) when I run it using VTK-5.4.2. Can someone explain this.

Thanks

Azim