[vtkusers] vtk-5.4 python 2.6 build/install on Ubuntu 9.04, missing a step

Azim azimjinha at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:04:19 EDT 2009

I have successfully built VTK-5.4 from source with the Python bindings.  VTK was installed at

/usr/local/lib/VTK-5.4

the vtk-python packages ended up at

/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vtk
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/VTK-5.4.2-py2.6.egg-info

when I try to import vtk within python I get an import error that libvtkCommonPythonD.so.5.4 no such file or directory

this file does exist in /usr/local/lib/vtk-5.4

I tried adding /usr/local/lib/vtk-5.4 to PATH and PYTHONPATH but python still does not find the above resource.  So, what am I missing to get this work?

Any ideas are greatly welcome and appreciated

Azim