[vtkusers] How to really delete cells?

Corinne Tith cocoricore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 04:24:49 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I get a polydata volume with a vtkContourFilter and a
vtkWindowSincPolyDataFilter.
Some cells are not connected to the largest volume. They seem to be 'on' the
mesh but have no vertice in common.

I tried the filters vtkCleanPolyData and vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter, but
most of my unconnected cells are not removed.
Finally, I tried to delete them 'manually', but nothing happens.

How can I really remove my unconnected cells?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

// generate my volume
my_vtkWindowSincPolyDataFilter->SetInputConnection(my_vtkContourFilter->GetOutputPort());

// no effect on my cells
my_vtkCleanPolyData->SetInputConnection(my_vtkWindowSincPolyDataFilter->GetOutputPort());

my_vtkCleanPolyData->PointMergingOn();
my_vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter->SetInputConnection(my_vtkContourFilter->GetOutputPort());
my_vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter->SetExtractionModeToLargestRegion();
// manual remove
my_vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter->Update();
my_polyData = my_vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter->GetOutput();
for(int i = 0; i < n; i++){
       my_polyData->DeleteCell(cellsToRemove[i]);
}
my_polyData->RemoveDeletedCells();