[vtkusers] What is RenderCreate(rw) in vtkPanel Java class

Sebastien Jourdain jourdain at artenum.com
Sat Jul 18 05:02:23 EDT 2009

> From: Carl Trapani <carl at skytopsoftware.com>
> Date: Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM
> Subject: [vtkusers] What is RenderCreate(rw) in vtkPanel Java class
> To: vtkusers <vtkusers at vtk.org>
>

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to use VTK from Java using vtkPanel from the examples and
> in vtk.jar that results when built with VTK_WRAP_JAVA is on.
> Specifically, I need to render an actor I extract from a 3DS scene.
> The 3DSImporter supplies it's own renderer and renderWindow, but I'm
> hesitant to use those in place of those supplied in vtkPanel since
> there isn't an explicit setRenderer() method supplied in vtkPanel.
> Also, there is a mysterious call to a native method RenderCreate(rw)
> in the Render() method of vtkPanel.

This code should work

vtkPanel panel = new vtkPanel();

vtk3DSImporter importer = new vtk3DSImporter();
importer.SetFileName("YOUR_3DS_FILE");
importer.SetRenderWindow(panel.GetRenderWindow());

importer.Update();

> Also, anyone that has used vtk in a Java app, I'd love some advice on
> how you manage deployment. Specifically, 32 vs 64 bit environments (OS
> and JVM) and has anyone deploy vtk binaries using Java Web Start?

Yes, I'm using VTK a lot in Java apps. And regarding the deployment, I
agree that it can be tricky...
Could you be more precise on what you expect to do ? (Web deploy with
JWS or Pre-compiled binary pack specific to an architecture)

I've managed to make the JWS works once, but it was some times ago
(vtk 4.2). I haven't tried yet.
I can explain the procedure to make a JavaWebStart package of VTK with
automatic system detection used to download the proper native code.

Seb