[vtkusers] What is RenderCreate(rw) in vtkPanel Java class

Carl Trapani carl at skytopsoftware.com
Fri Jul 17 12:16:52 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to use VTK from Java using vtkPanel from the examples and in
vtk.jar that results when built with VTK_WRAP_JAVA is on. Specifically,
I need to render an actor I extract from a 3DS scene. The 3DSImporter
supplies it's own renderer and renderWindow, but I'm hesitant to use
those in place of those supplied in vtkPanel since there isn't an
explicit setRenderer() method supplied in vtkPanel. Also, there is a
mysterious call to a native method RenderCreate(rw) in the Render()
method of vtkPanel.

1) Where would I find the native RenderCreate() method so I can look at
what it does?
2) Can I safely set (overwrite) the renderer and renderWindow members of
vtkPanel with those from the 3DSImporter? or...
3) Should I copy out the polyData structure from the actor and dispose
of the 3DSImporter and all of its related objects and use those in vtkPanel?

Also, anyone that has used vtk in a Java app, I'd love some advice on
how you manage deployment. Specifically, 32 vs 64 bit environments (OS
and JVM) and has anyone deploy vtk binaries using Java Web Start?

Thanks,
Carl

My configuration:
vtk: 5.4.0 built from source

CMake 2.6.3
    BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on
    VTK_WRAP_JAVA on

PATH=C:\libs\cpp\vtk\vtk-5-4-0\instl-vc9-dyn-jvm\bin

Netbeans 6.5.1
Java 1.6.0_13 (32 bit)
Windows Vista 32 bit