[vtkusers] Building VTK on WindowsXp with Python

Henrik Westerberg henrik.westerberg at crg.es
Tue Jul 14 12:09:19 EDT 2009

Hi vtkusers,

I am attempting to build VTK on windows with Python wrapping. I have searched various guides and the
mailing list and I can't seem to find  a solution to my problem. I have experience building VTK on linux
and Mac but this is my first time on Windows XP.

So my problem is I cannot import the libraries into python. I get the common:
ImportError: No module name vtkCommonPython

I have set both my PYTHONPATH and PATH variables to point at the bin and wrapping directory from VTK and confirmed this with sys.path.

So when I had a look in bin and compared it with my linux build I realised the libvtkCommonPython.dll is not
present. Is this normal from a correct build? I have libvtkCommonPython.pyd, and libvtkCommonPythonD.dll.
In my linux build I have libvtkCommonPython.so. So I am thinking this is the problem.

I have included my CMakeCache.

Version Numbers:
VTK: 5.4.2
Codeblocks: 8.02
Cmake:2.6-patch4
Python:2.6.2

Apologies if this is something simple I have been trying various build options today without much luck.
thanks,
Henrik