[vtkusers] Trouble Distributing VC9-compiled VTK

Paul massivemonkeymayhem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 13:41:35 EST 2009

Hi all. I've compiled VTK-5.2.1 successfully using Visual Studio
Express 2008. My Python-based VTK program works great, however I am
unable to copy and use my VTK build onto other Win32 machines without
first installing VS. A simple "import vtk" in python produces generic
DLL errors, even though I've included both msvcp90d.dll and
msvcr90d.dll and tried debug and release debug builds.

I've tried installing the VS runtime, but this has no effect. If I
install Visual Studio, VTK works fine. Once I uninstall it, it breaks.
I'm not sure how to proceed forward. Any ideas?

Paul