[vtkusers] overlapping regions in unstructured grid

Jouke Postma digigram at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 10:37:07 EST 2009

Hi,

I have simulation model that generates a 3D model of a root system. The
output gives me a vtk unstructured grid that is made of near cylindrical
cells. Each cell is a triangular strip. All the cylindrical cells form a
root systems similar to pipes connected to each other. I can calculate quite
accurately the volume of a root system using vtkMassProperties. However, I
would like to calculate the overlapping volume between two of these root
systems. As far as I underdstand I could do that with vtkImplicit boolean.
However vtkImplicitBoolean needs an implicit function as input - and I can't
figure out how I could convert one of the rootsystems into an implicit
function. Could anyone give me a view hints?

With great apreciation

Jouke

ps. Typical root system has about 60.000 cells  - if it matters.