[vtkusers] visualize logical expressions

Andreas St andy_s_18 at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 16 06:53:28 EST 2009

Hi all,

my problem is about using vtkSampleFunction and vtkContourfilter.
I have about 1000 quadric functions and circa 2000 logical expressions
combining the functions as inputdata.

I use vtkQuadric for the functions and vtkImplicitBoolean to reproduce the
logical expressions.
Now the vtkImplicitBoolean-objects are sampled using vtkSampleFunction.
After contouring with vtkContourFilter each structure is rendered using the
usual pipeline.
I don't know how big these structures are an where they are located. So i
try different model bounds for sampling (always one bound for all
vtkSampleFunction-objects). The geometry is quite big, so i need to set the
model bounds to min. 6000,1000,6000.
This approach works fine for about 40 logical expressions an small model
bounds. But when i try to visualize more of them the pc runs out of memory
(2GB are available).

I would be very thankful if you could give me a hint on how to visualize a
problem like this. Even if it is a completely different approach.