[vtkusers] [Insight-developers] Bio-Formats integration with VTK/ITK

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jan 8 17:13:57 EST 2009

Hi Curtis,

Le 8 janv. 09 à 22:11, Curtis Rueden a écrit :

> QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION
>
> My goal with this email is to kickstart some discussion about
> integrating Bio-Formats with VTK/ITK. Specifically, my questions for
> the community are:
>
> 1) Do others agree that this form of integration is a good idea? Or
> is there a better way to accomplish the bulleted goals above?

I'm dreaming of this kind of integration since I saw the bioformats
talk at the OME meeting in Paris a few years ago. The java/c++
integration looked a bit too difficult to go that way though - that's
what lead me to produce a very simple wrapper to use bioformats in
wrapitk to read images: with a java program which uses bioformats, it
copies the image to a well know format on the disk (tif) and the
produced file is read in ITK with a standard reader. Of course, there
are tons of limitations, and it's nothing but performant. We talked a
bit about improving this wrapper, but this design seems to poor and
won't let us get the best from bioformats.

So for sure this form of integration is interesting :-)

http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/bioformats/

> 2) I don't know much about ITK or VTK yet. Where is the right
> integration point? Within ITK, accessible using ImageIOBase/
> ImageIOFactory? Or elsewhere? Does VTK/ITK have an appropriate
> plugin infrastructure?

I don't know if VTK has an IO plugin infrastructure, but ITK has one -
see http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Plugin_IO_mechanisms

> 3) Does anyone have experience using Jace cross-platform? Or does
> anyone know an open source solution other than Jace for accessing
> Java API from C++? Unfortunately, WrapITK & CableSwig go the other
> way -- wrapping C++ code for access from Java -- which is not what
> we want here.
>
> 4) Any thoughts on the GPL/BSD licensing issue?

As long as it is distributed as a plugin, as you do for imagej, there
is no problem.
An integration in ITK would let more people use it, but it would
require to change the license of bioformats. I understand that you
don't want to do that, so the plugin seems to be the best way to go IMO.

> This project is currently my top priority, but I am not a C++ expert
> and I would greatly appreciate help from anyone in these various
> communities. Thanks in advance for any comments and replies!

That's a great news to see such an implication from the bioformats side!

Regards,

Gaëtan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann