[vtkusers] vtkPolyData vs vtkUnstructuredGrid

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Feb 24 08:07:52 EST 2009

vtp is more limited in that it is limited to containing only 2D cell
types, for example triangles. vtu can contain those as well as 3D cell
types such as tetrahedra. As far as which structure can be set as
input to more filters, I can not say. Many filters will accept either,
by virtue of their sharing a common superclass.