[vtkusers] vtkDoubleArray -- you can set the number of values but you can't get the number of values?

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Wed Feb 18 13:49:10 EST 2009

It is not the number of tuples. It is the number of tuples times the
number of components, at least according to this implementation:

VTK/Common/vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx:

// Set the number of n-tuples in the array.
template <class T>
void vtkDataArrayTemplate<T>::SetNumberOfTuples(vtkIdType number)
{
  this->SetNumberOfValues(number*this->NumberOfComponents);
  this->DataChanged();
}

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
> You can also use
> vtkIdType GetNumberOfTuples ();
>  since vtkArrays are based off the "Tuple" concept. Look at the
> vtkAbstractArray class which vtkDoubleArray descends from.

> Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
> BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
> Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio
>

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:34 PM, kent williams wrote:
>
>> I've been staring for some time at the Doxygen man pages for
>> vtkDoubleArray and vtkDataArray.  It seems that there is a member
>> function vtkDoubleArray::SetNumberOfValues(), but no corresponding
>> vtkDoubleArray::GetNumberOfValues().
>>
>> This seems to indicate that you have to make sure that you never try
>> to read out more values than you've put in to the array, because
>> there's no way to check this.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive