[vtkusers] Semantics of Field and Vectors keywords in VTK text files

Daniele Development-ML daniele.dml at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:33:07 EST 2009

Hello everybody,
I'm producing a converter from VTK to another format to represents meshes
and fields and I'm dealing VTK text files (non XML) - thus not VTK program
objects

My question is:

what is the difference between the data VECTOR and a general FIELD with
three components?
The difference is meaningful only to a VTK viewer, which instantiates
diverse program objects for the two structures, or does it bring some exact
meaning even in the only text file?

The question might be obvious for VTK gurus - who certainly I'm not.

Many thanks in advance!

Dan