[vtkusers] Hounsfield Units : strange result (Volume rendering)

Kevin Osborn planck at netspeed.com.au
Tue Feb 17 06:36:32 EST 2009

By definition the Hounsfield value of air is -1000. Water has a value of
0 HU and all other CT densities (or strictly speaking electron
densities) represent a linear scale around these two values. In practice
the densities don't fit into a narrow Hounsfield range due to variations
in calibration of the xray detectors, noise within CT systems and so
called partial volume artefact where some image voxels contain both air
and soft tissue and therefore have a density intermediate between air
(-1000 HU) and soft tissue (approx 40 HU). To set an appropriate range
to render lung, you will always therefore render the air/skin interface
(and also stomach and bowel gas if the scan includes the upper abdomen).
As Frederic Perez said, a region growing algorithm is your best bet.

Regards, Kevin