[vtkusers] Odd behavior in vtkStreamTracer?

Bridgman, William T. William.T.Bridgman at nasa.gov
Thu Feb 12 15:28:41 EST 2009

Hello,

I've been generating some field lines using vtkStreamTracer.  The
domain of the field has a hole in the center and I am interested in
the flow into and out of the hole.

I've defined my points just outside the spherical hole.  The northern
region has outbound field lines and those are easy.  The southern
region has inbound field lines so I set StreamTracer to reverse the
direction of propagation.  In the southern case, the lines seem to
generate okay but are actually *two* nearly perfectly overlaid lines
with an outbound and inbound components that seem to have a common
node at a position far from the hole.

I've not yet identified a clear pattern in when it does this.  It does
not happen to every field line in the region.

I'm using a CVS repository around version 5.2, Linux on 64-bit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom
--
Dr. William T."Tom" Bridgman               Scientific Visualization
Studio