[vtkusers] Error Generating vtkGLSLShaderLibrary.h

Carl Trapani carl at skytopsoftware.com
Mon Feb 9 09:46:24 EST 2009

Hi Utkarsh,

THANKS! Adding MinGW and MSYS bin dirs to my system path solved my
problem (duh ... of course, the Eclipse launched ProcessShader couldn't
find the MinGW dll ... so add it to the path!).

For others attempting to use Eclipse CDT4 + MinGW 5.1.4 on Win32 (Vista)
to compile VTK 5.2.1, here is what worked for me:

OS: Vista SP1 (32 bit)
Compiler/Toolchain:
--MinGW 5.1.4 (make sure to install g++ as well as base components.
DON'T install MinGW make.exe, use MSYS make instead.)
--MSYS 1.0.10 (for make.exe)
----Put the bin directories for both of these tools on your system path
(Computer ->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables->System Vars)
IDE: Eclipse Europa C++ (Eclipse 3.3 + CDT 4)
Build Generator: CMake 2.6.1
--out-of-source build
--Select the "Eclipse CDT 4 - Unix Makefiles" generator
--accept all defaults, although I had to set/change VTK_DATA_ROOT and
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

I'm testing CDT5 out now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Carl

Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
> You may need to set the windows PATH to include C:\MinGW\bin and
> C:\msys\1.0\bin. I am not too familiar with eclipse but it may have
> some way of specifying environment variables for building.
> Alternatively, try firing off eclipse from a shell where the PATH is
> set to include the two dirs.
>
> Utkarsh
>
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Carl Trapani <carl at skytopsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> I've tried the following configuration tweaks and combinations, but no luck
>> yet. Anyone got any advice?
>>
>> Reverted to Eclipse CDT4, same error.
>> Tried using Eclipse CDT4 - MinGW Makefile generator, got error: can't have
>> sh.exe on path.
>> Ran cmake-gui.exe without MinGW or MSYS on path ( + CDT4 MinGW Makefile
>> generator), but got CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM not found error.
>> Upgraded to MinGW 5.1.4. but now CMAKE_CXX_NOT_FOUND (where did g++.exe go?
>> Not in C:\MinGW\bin).
>>
>> If anyone has successfully used Eclipse CDT + MinGW to compile vtk 5.2.1,
>> I'd love to know what versions and tricks you've used.
>> Thanks,
>> Carl
>>
>> Carl Trapani wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm stumped and hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to compile
>>> vtk-5.2.1 (out-of-source build) using:
>>> -Eclipse CDT 5 (NOT 4)
>>> -MinGW 5.1.3 ( gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3) )
>>> -MSYS 1.0.10 (GNU Make version 3.79.1, ...)
>>> -cmake-gui(beta) 2.6.1
>>> -Win32 (Vista + SP1)
>>>
>>> Here is what I do:
>>> 1) open a command prompt and set path to include C:\MinGW\bin (for gcc)
>>> and C:\msys\1.0\bin (for make)
>>> 2) run cmake-gui.exe from command prompt with path set from 1). I set the
>>> src and build dirs as:
>>>   C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src
>>>   C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-build-static-cdt4
>>> I set the Generator to "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" (IS THIS THE RIGHT
>>> CHOICE?).
>>> Configure and set VTK_INSTALL_PREFIX and VTK_DATA_ROOT.
>>> Configure again accepting defaults for BUILD_TESTING, VTK_USE_INFOVIS,
>>> VTK_USE_RENDERING, VTK_USE_VIEWS.
>>> Generate (no problems).
>>> 3) Open Eclipse and import existing project at
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-build-static-cdt4
>>> NOTE: path alterations made in 1) are NOT in effect now. C:\MinGW\bin and
>>> C:\msys\1.0\bin are NOT on the path.
>>> 4) Then I get this error after some compilation:
>>> ---------------------------
>>> ProcessShader.exe - Unable To Locate Component
>>> ---------------------------
>>> This application has failed to start because mingwm10.dll was not found.
>>> Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
>>>
>>> But, mingwm10.dll is at C:\MinGW\bin ??
>>>
>>> Below is the Eclipse console output for the error:
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src/Utilities/MaterialLibrary/GLSLShaders/TestVertex.glsl
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src/Utilities/MaterialLibrary/GLSLShaders/TestVtkPropertyFrag.glsl
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src/Utilities/MaterialLibrary/GLSLShaders/TestMatrixFrag.glsl
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src/Utilities/MaterialLibrary/GLSLShaders/TestScalarVectorFrag.glsl
>>> C:/projects/vtk/vtk-5.2.1/vtk-src/Utilities/MaterialLibrary/GLSLShaders/Twisted.glsl
>>> make[2]: *** [Utilities/MaterialLibrary/vtkGLSLShaderLibrary.h] Error 53