[vtkusers] Compile with Visual Studio 2008

Alon Mozes amozes77 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 13:51:55 EST 2009

Sorry, I think I had missed both Michael's and Arturo's posts (Should I not be expecting an email response or notification of response?  No sign of a reply in any junk folder either or even in the digests.  Maybe I'm doing something stupid with my multiple email addresses...).  I've found the posts online through markmail and will try to address them...

Michael,
I did build VTK myself.  To be clear: I download the source, use CMake to configure it by pointing to the source folder and creating a new build folder, and then compile in Visual Studio using the solution file I find in that newly populated build directory.  I found no sign of vtkMFCConfigure.h anywhere.  From what I understand, I think this is a bug in the vtk installation code.

The only trick is that I changed one vtk MFC file to get VTK to compile (that winver bug; see the origin of this thread) and then recompiled.  I don't imagine that affected this problem.  I am currently not at my dev machine, but when I get back, I can try from scratch with downloading vtk, configuring in CMake, making the change for that winver bug, and compiling in VS and seeing if that file exists (or I guess it should exist immediately after the CMake stage?).

Arturo,
Thanks, that was my original concern.  I'd still like to use VS from start to finish if I can since I'm more familiar with it, but I'm glad to know it should be a minor change if I can't get this working.

David,
Long story short, if I understand right, either that file exists and I'm not properly pointing to it in my project settings, or it doesn't exist and it's a vtk bug.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist (I recall searching my entire hard drive for it and came up with nothing; I can double check tonight).

Thanks again for all the help.