[vtkusers] Meanings of all VTK configuration parameters ??

JIA Pei jp4work at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 00:01:05 EST 2009

Hi, all:

Sorry for my newbie questions. Hope this won't disturb you.

I'm trying to build current VTK cvs (wondering why there is no svn or git
support ?? ), say VTK cvs 12/09/2009 .

However, I really wanna make myself understood of all the meanings of
configuration parameters before I go on for compilation.
So, I enumerate some of the doubtful parameters down here, and a detailed
explanation is extremely expected.

CMAKE_HP_PTHREADS
   OFF                         // what is HP_PTHREADS ??  It seems there are
several types of pthreads.
CMAKE_USE_SPROC                  OFF                           // yes,
sorry, till now, I've got no idea what is SPROC ? what for? See this many
times in various packages

FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR               FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND

// using Ubuntu 9.10, it looks like VTK only supports FFMPEG <= 0.5. the
default FFMPEG in current Ubuntu 9.10 now doesn't afford an single "include"
directory.

 FFMPEG_dc1394_LIBRARY            FFMPEG_dc1394_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
 FFMPEG_dts_LIBRARY               FFMPEG_dts_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND
// why FFMPEG_dc1394 and FFMPEG_dts?  I installed libdc1394-22-dev , but it
seems this has nothing to do with FFMPEG ???

 MEMORYCHECK_COMMAND              MEMORYCHECK_COMMAND-NOTFOUND
// Couldn't find any package related to MEMORYCHECK ? which package is
required for this package?

OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR         OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
// strange tha under Ubuntu 9.10, this can not be found.
All mesa related packages have been installed including
libgl1-mesa-dev
libglu1-mesa-dev
libglw1-mesa-dev
libosmesa6-dev
mesa-common-dev
xlibmesa-gl-dev
xlibmesa-glu

Only except package "libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev". However, if I tick this up,
package "ubuntu-desktop" will be removed, as well as some conflicted mesa
packages listed above.
So, what is "OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR" for?

 LIBPROJ4_INCLUDE_DIR             LIBPROJ4_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
 LIBPROJ4_LIBRARIES               LIBPROJ4_LIBRARIES-NOTFOUND
// In fact, I installed libproj-dev from current Ubuntu 9.10 repository.
But,

 PROJ_LIST_EXTERNAL               OFF
 PROJ_USE_GSL                     OFF
 PROJ_USE_PTHREADS                OFF
// What are these three choices for? If I picked ON for any of the three, I
will obtain the following error message:
 CMake Error at Utilities/vtklibproj4/CMakeLists.txt:28 (message):
   You may not define both PROJ_LIST_EXTERNAL and BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.  Turn
one
   off and re-run CMake.
Therefore, it's better I turn off these 3 choices right?

 VERDICT_BUILD_DOC                OFF
 VERDICT_ENABLE_TESTING           OFF
 VERDICT_MANGLE                   ON
 VERDICT_MANGLE_PREFIX            vtk
 VERDICT_USE_FLOAT                OFF
// What are VERDICT for? Always meet this in many packages.  Something is
even more strange. If I enable "VERDICT_ENABLE_TESTING           ON", after
the configuration, it will be automatically change back to
"VERDICT_ENABLE_TESTING           OFF" !!! Amazing.... The same thing
happens to "VERDICT_USE_FLOAT                OFF" as well.

VLI_LIBRARY_FOR_VP1000           VLI_LIBRARY_FOR_VP1000-NOTFOUND
// what is this for? It seems nothing is related with this choice in Ubuntu
9.10?

 X11_XTest_LIB                    X11_XTest_LIB-NOTFOUND
 X11_Xaccessrules_INCLUDE_PATH    X11_Xaccessrules_INCLUDE_PATH-NOTFOUND
// Strange that in ubuntu 9.10, these 2 packages are not able to be found.
What are these 2 packages for?

Finally, I really hope all VTK_  settings can be carefully explained because
all these parameters are specifically for VTK !!
Here, I enumerate all I'm interested in as follows:

 VTK_LARGE_DATA_ROOT              VTK_LARGE_DATA_ROOT-NOTFOUND
// what is LARGE_DATA?  is it VTKData? My directory tree is just like
some folder
----------- VTK
----------- VTKData
How should I arrange these 2 directories "VTK" and "VTKData"?

VTK_LEGACY_REMOVE                OFF
 VTK_LEGACY_SILENT                OFF
// What are VTK_LEGACY for?

 VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA            OFF
// what is OSMESA? what's the relationship between opengl and osmesa?

 VTK_TESTING_USE_FPE              ON
// what does FPE refer to??
 VTK_TESTING_USE_LOCALE           OFF
// what does LOCALE refer to?

 VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER           OFF
// As you may see above, FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR
FFMPEG_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND , so it's better for me to turn off
VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER  .

VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA             OFF
// OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR         OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND , so
it seems i'd better turn off VTK_USE_MANGLED_MESA

VTK_USE_MPEG2_ENCODER            OFF
// This seems to be specific for vtkmpeg2encode, right?
which one should be installed first? vtk or vtkmpeg2encode? why not afford a
standard installation for vtkmpeg2encode?  Or just integrate VTK and
vtkmpeg2encode??

 VTK_USE_TDX                      ON
// What is TDX for?
 VTK_USE_TEXT_ANALYSIS            ON
// What is TEXT_ANALYSIS for?

 VTK_USE_VOLUMEPRO_1000           OFF
// What is VOLUMEPRO_1000?

Hope anybody can afford a detailed explanation on all the above
VTKconfiguration settings.

What's more...
Compilation error message on TDX as follows.

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/
Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:23:54: error: xdrvlib.h: No such file or
directory
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx: In member
function ‘void
vtkTDxUnixDevice::Initialize()’:

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:123: error:
‘MagellanInit’ was not declared in this
scope

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx: In member
function ‘virtual void
vtkTDxUnixDevice::Close()’:

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:139: error:
‘MagellanClose’ was not declared in this
scope

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx: In member
function ‘bool vtkTDxUnixDevice::ProcessEvent(const
XEvent*)’:

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:160: error:
‘MagellanFloatEvent’ was not declared in this
scope

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:160: error:
expected ‘;’ before ‘info’
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:164: error:
‘info’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:166: error:
‘MagellanTranslateEvent’ was not declared in this
scope

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:177: error:
‘MagellanInputMotionEvent’ was not declared in this
scope

/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:179: error:
‘MagellanRemoveMotionEvents’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:180: error:
‘MagellanX’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:181: error:
‘MagellanY’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:186: error:
‘MagellanZ’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:188: error:
‘MagellanA’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:189: error:
‘MagellanB’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:192: error:
‘MagellanC’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:211: error:
‘MagellanInputButtonPressEvent’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:218: error:
‘MagellanInputButtonReleaseEvent’ was not declared in this scope
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx: In member
function ‘void vtkTDxUnixDevice::SetSensitivity(double)’:
/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/Rendering/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx:243: error:
‘MagellanApplicationSensitivity’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/vtkTDxUnixDevice.cxx.o]
Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/build'
make[1]: *** [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRendering.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jiapei/Tools/CV/vtk/VTK/build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

What is TDX for? and where about can I find TDX related package under Ubuntu
9.10?

Hope anybody can give me a detailed explanation about this please....

Best Regards
JIA Pei

--
Welcome to Vision Open