[vtkusers] How to use GetTupleValue(i, array) in python?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 22:19:30 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 7:51 PM,  <lynx.abraxas at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 18/12/09 21:07:03, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de wrote:
>>     for i in range(0, PointNormalArray.GetNumberOfTuples()):
>>         PointNormalArray.GetTupleValue(i, pointNormal) #make sure  pointNormal is big enough!
>>
>> And I get the python error "AttributeError: GetTupleValue".
>> So I wonder how do I have to this in python?
>
> With David D.'s advice I found GetTuple3(i) which works fine. Is that the correct function to use here?

Yup, the numbered GetTuple methods are the proper methods for getting
tuples from arrays in python.

Methods like "GetTupleValue(int i, double *tuple)" aren't wrapped in
python unless they have a signature like GetTupleValue(int i, double
tuple[3]) so that the wrappers know how large the array is.

Likewise,  methods like "double *GetTuple(int i)" aren't wrapped
unless there is a hint so that the wrappers know how many values will
be returned.

The wrappers don't do anything fancy like check how many components an
array has in order to find out what size of tuple to use.  The
wrapping of a method is determined only by the method signature and
the hints in VTK/Wrapping/hints.

  David