[vtkusers] How to use the docs efficiently as a newbie to vtk?

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Fri Dec 18 21:46:13 EST 2009

On 18/12/09 22:55:02, Jérôme wrote:
> David D. did a lot of adds on the wiki (examples), they are an huge amount
> of tutorials, shared codes, presentations that will help you, for sure.
> IMHO, VTK is one of the most documented open library that I am using.

Thanks David D. and Jerome.
The "List of all members" is a good advice. This shoul make it much easier for
me now. I some how managed to over look  it  since  most  class  references  I
looked  at  showed  already so many functions that I expected everything to be
listed already...

I didn't want to say that vtk is badly documented, not  at  all.  I  was  just
wondering how other manage to get going so much quicker than me (although I've
programmed for many years in lots of languages and learned  to  read  code  of
others when I built my LFS).
Jerome's   point  might  explain  this  a  bit  because  I  use  vtk  not  for
visiualisation but more for analysis.
So would You recommend using another library for such things? I  started  with
the  capabilities  of blender. They were sufficient at that time and I already
knew Blender. I found out about vtk and came to use it when I was looking  for
a  countouring  program/function  that  takes  a  volume  picture as input and
results in a mesh (suitable for blender). Now it turns  out  my  blender  code
runs  correct  but  far too slow with the bigger dataset I have now. So here I
am, trying to use vtk for that as well now. Am I wrong here?
Is there a better library for these purposes? One that is  perhaps  easier  to
use in that sense and perhaps even quicker than vtk?

Thanks again,
Lynx