[vtkusers] vtkusers Digest, Vol 68, Issue 35

tom walk tcwalk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 12:34:33 EST 2009

After working on this myself, I called Kitware and was told that my
issue could not be solved on the phone and there is no free support
email other than this mailing list.  Furthermore, I was told to send
errors and the cmake file.

Perhaps the vtk gods should send consistent messages to us irritating mortals.

If you think that it is annoying to read all of the text I sent, then
perhaps you can appreciate that making users join and read through the
list is inefficient for us.  Perhaps you are familiar with tracking
systems, such as Jira, where users can submit issues and support can
assign the issues without everybody having to receive everything.

If that is not too blasphemous for the vtkgods, then perhaps we can
get to my issue.

If anybody can answer my question, I am still interested.

Why is my vtk build in Vista failing when I turn on shared libraries?

This seems to be the key to me, but there may be something else.

vtksys.lib(vtksys.dll) : error LNK2005: "public: int __thiscall
std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
std::allocator<char> >::compare(class std::basic_string<char,struct
std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)const "
(?compare@?$basic_string at DU?$char_traits at D at std@@V?$allocator at
D at 2@@std@@QBEHABV12@@Z)
already defined in vtkAbstractArray.obj

Thanks for any attention given my request.  All help is appreciated.
Let me know what you need to help me.  I am perfectly willing to send
as little or as much as requested to solve this, and I can write
outside of the list is so desired.

Tom

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:15 AM, tom walk <tcwalk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to build VTK with Python, Java, and TCL wrappers.  I  am using
> the beta version of Visual Studio 10.0 in Vista Ultimate  I start
> simple with no wrappers and no shared libraries.  It builds and I can
> run examples, though I don't see vtk.exe.  If I turn on shared
> libraries, the build fails.
>
> I prefer to have shared libraries on and understand that it is
> necessary for wrapping.  Can somebody help me to solve the errors
> below.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but you should never
send that much text to a mailing list, particularly if it is just cut and
paste from a release file. You will just make people angry. Consider this a
friendly warning before the wrath of the VTK gods is released.

Thanks,

David