[vtkusers] vtkActor rendering time

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Dec 18 10:34:55 EST 2009

Speed is relative. 10 seconds could be very slow or very fast, it
depends on the data that is being rendered. How many points are there,
how many polygons? How have you set up the scene? Give more details
and people may evaluate if their is a problem and what you might do to
improve upon it.

Each actor adds overhead. The overhead is a necessary part of giving
fine grained control over all aspects of the appearance. If you have a
lot of things but do not need to to control them independently, append
them together in the pipeline and render them en masse with one actor.
See vtkAppendPolyData, and the Glyph filters for example of the
general technique.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer