[vtkusers] VTK/Java crashes -- WeakGlobalRef or garbage collection problem...solution?

Nathan P Sharp vtkusers at nps.parcellsharp.net
Thu Dec 17 20:53:00 EST 2009

Luke Dodd escribió:
> As far as threading problems are concerned I would have thought a
> global lock would fix things. It does not really matter what thread
> any code gets called from as long as there is not more than one thread
> messing around with non thread safe code.
This is entirely true for code you write.  However, when you start
dealing with hardware acceleration and heavy packages like Swing, OpenGL
and MFC it'll get you in trouble.  Those packages all have very specific
rules about what you are and are not allowed to do and often use thread
local storage.  In particular OpenGL is tricky because most of it is
implemented in drivers by the hardware vendors.  So what works on my box
might crash rapidly on someone else's hardware, even for the same OS.

http://www.equalizergraphics.com/documentation/parallelOpenGLFAQ.html

I'm frantically trying to get everything I need done before I go on
vacation next week.  It might take me a while but I'll get back to you
on the sample code for the memory leak.  I agree that it sounds like an
unrelated problem.  Again, thanks for working with me.  I look forward
to trying out the sync code.

Nathan