[vtkusers] VTK/Java crashes -- WeakGlobalRef or garbage collection problem...solution?

Denis Barbier bouzim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:02:46 EST 2009

On 2009/12/17 Clinton Stimpson wrote:
[...]
> Since finalize can happen on any thread, does that also mean the destructors
> for these classes have to work across threads?
>
> One case I'm thinking of is vtk*RenderWindow where cleaning up of OpenGL
> resources could be thread sensitive.

In our case, we had crashes which seemed to be caused exactly by this
issue, OpenGL resources were freed and we suspected that they should
have been freed within the Event Dispatch Thread and not by the Java
garbage collector.  But we could not produce a simple test case, so
this was only a wild guess.
I will test Luke's patch soon to see if it works for us.

Denis