[vtkusers] QVTKWidget crashing randomly when maximized or closed.

ferr ferr.mail at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:07:49 EST 2009

I will preface this with the fact that QVTKWidget is obviously intended for
use with Qt, so it may be difficult to find an appropriate audience for this
question, as it could fall on either a problem with Qt or VTK and would
require knowledge of both frameworks.

I have four QVTKWidget objects that are QMdiSubWindow inside of a QMdiArea.
Sometimes, when I minimize one of them, and maximize another, the app
crashes.  Also, the app will crash when I close a maximized QMdiSubWindow
that contains a QVTKWidget.  Is there a known issue I should be aware of?
Does QVTKWidget not work well with QMdiArea (or in certain situations with
QMdiArea?)

In this post at Qt-Interest I have provided further details including where
it crashed to:

http://lists.trolltech.com/pipermail/qt-interest/2009-December/016936.html

I have four QMdiSubWindow widgets within a QMdiArea, each of which has its
own QVTKWidget added to it.  Sometimes (it seems random, but often), after
minimizing one of the sub windows, and clicking the maximize button on
another sub window, I crash to line 105 of malloc.c

*#ifdef _WIN64
    return HeapAlloc(_crtheap, 0, size ? size : 1);
#else  /* _WIN64 */
    if (__active_heap == __SYSTEM_HEAP) {
        return HeapAlloc(_crtheap, 0, size ? size : 1); //CRASHES TO THIS
LINE
    } else
    if ( __active_heap == __V6_HEAP ) {
        if (pvReturn = V6_HeapAlloc(size)) {
            return pvReturn;
        }
    }*

Also, when I maximize a subwindow, three buttons appear on the tool bar:
Minimize / Restore / Close Window.  When I click Close Window it always
crashes.to memcpy.asm at line 312:

*        mov     [edi+ecx*4-16],eax ;U - put dword into destination*

*
*I do have code that handles resizing of the sub windows whenever the main
window is resized, and I suspect it is possible that it could be linked to
the crashing, but I can't see why, and debugging does not show it going into
that area at any point around a crash.