[vtkusers] vtk books

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:38:13 EST 2009

> does anybody have a pdf software guide for VTK?
> I couldn't find it on the internet.

There is no free pdf version like itk. I believe the itk pdf is
available for free because it was paid for by a grant of some sort.

> I'm looking for a book on how to use VTK, but the available books on amazon
> are
> either expensive or outdated. It would seem that an outdated book is not
> very useful,
> or am I wrong for the VTK book?

Both VTK books are a little out of date. Also they only cover a small
percentage of VTK. The text book is a very good intro to visualization
but it does not really cover how to use the vtk classes. While the
Users Guide does cover some VTK classes it definitely does not cover
everything.

To learn vtk I have used a combination of reading both books, reading
the source code and google searches.

John