[vtkusers] How to get the input to a filter as algorithm output?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Dec 15 11:33:39 EST 2009

> Second item: In VTK it isn't safe to write a VTK filter that executes
> other VTK filters inside of it.  Which is really unfortunate, because
> it sure is a useful thing to be able to do.  But if you look through
> all the filters in VTK (i.e. vtkAlgorithm derived objects), you will
> not find a single one that does this.

Not true at all. It is safe to write filters that execute other VTK filters
and it is done (somewhat) regularly. It is however correct that you have
to be really careful doing this.

First rule: do not under any circumstance make an internal filter share
the input of the external filter. This includes both:

blend->AddInputconnection( this->GetInputConnection( ) );
and
blend->AddInput(input);

If you do this, you will (at one point in time) run into all kinds of trouble
because blend's update request will propagate up the pipeline and
this will happen while you are inside the RequestData() of the external
filter. Not good. Don't do it.

A simple solution:
vtkImageData* inputCopy = input->NewInstance();
inputCopy->ShallowCopy(input);
blend->AddInput(inputCopy);
blend->Update();
output->ShallowCopy(blend->GetOutput());

This work for the simple case - where the pipeline is for the most part
working on the whole data. It would also work if you had a mini internal
pipeline ending with blend.

If you are doing streaming or distributed processing, or you are fiddling
around with other pipeline requests,  things get more complicated. I can
get into that if someone finds a good example :-)

There is also the case of complete delegation to a sub-filter. Look at
vtkContourFilter.cxx to see how that works.

-berk