[vtkusers] vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter + unstructuredGrid

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:36:17 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Bill Chivas <noo134 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to use vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter  on an unstructuredGrid, but i
> read the particular filter applies only to vtkPolyData.
> My unstructuredGrid consists of hexahedrons.
> How could i use the filter?
> One idea i thought is to extract the surface iterately and apply to these
> surfaces, but i don't know if it's ok.

I've seen some people create a "skin" polydata with vtkGeometryFilter,
apply the smoothing to the "skin" and then use a custom filter to
propagate the smoothing throughout the interior of their mesh.  The
vtkGeometryFilter is a basic anything-to-polydata filter, so it is
easy to use.  The final step of using the smoothed polydata to create
a smoothed mesh is nontrivial, though.

    David