[vtkusers] unstructured grid + tetrahedrons

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 06:56:00 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Jérôme <jerome.velut at gmail.com> wrote:
> You are right, polydata is intended to describe 0D (vertices), 1D (lines)
> and 2D (polygons) cell. Tetrahedrons are the "simplest" 3D cells, such as
> triangles are the "simplest" 2D cells, but vtkPolyData cannot have 3D cells.
> However, a tetrahedron is composed of 4 vertices, 6 edges (lines) and 4
> triangles (polygons) that you can *represents* thanks to a vtkPolyData. when
> you render a tetrahedral mesh through a polydata, you don't "see" the
> tetrahedrons, but their bounds.
>

> Jerome

Jerome -

I'm not sure that is accurate - I believe the whole point of a
polydata is that it is the most flexible data type in that it is the
only one that DOES allow 3D cells. I'd have to double check the VTK
book on that, but maybe someone else can verify this? I've been
planing to add a brief description of each of these types to the wiki
for a while so you may have motivated me to get around to it :)

Thanks,

David