[vtkusers] vtkAppendFilter with double precision points (UNCLASSIFIED)

Leiter, Kenneth (Cont, ARL/CISD) kenneth.leiter at arl.army.mil
Thu Dec 10 14:31:48 EST 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello all,

I am reading an exodus II file into vtk using the vtkExodusIIReader and am
converting the resulting vtkMultiBlockDataSet to a vtkUnstructuredGrid for
further processing.  I am using a vtkAppendFilter to get from the
vtkMultiBlockDataSet to a vtkUnstructuredGrid.

However, I am losing precision for the point values after running through
the vtkAppendFilter.  I have verified that the points are double precision
before entering the filter and single precision afterwards.  I am not
surprised that I lose precision as it looks like a new vtkPoints (default =
single precision) is allocated in the vtkAppendFilter class and there
appears to be no way to change this behavior.

Does anyone have a workaround or another way to accomplish what I need to
do?  It was difficult enough to get the vtkExodusIIReader to read in double
precision points without converting them to floats!

Thanks,
Ken

Kenneth Leiter
Scientific Visualization Team
Lockheed Martin / ARL DoD Supercomputing Resource Center