[vtkusers] unstructured grid + tetrahedrons

Jérôme jerome.velut at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:22:34 EST 2009

Hi,
A vtkDatasetMapper is a generic mapper that, according to its name, maps
vtkDataSet. You will find that vtkImageData, vtkPolyData,
vtkUnstructuredGrid and a lot of other vtk data structures inherit from
vtkDataSet. Basically, it means that vtkDataSetMapper will 'see' a volume
(vtkImageData) like a mesh ('vtkPolyData') but also like a volumic mesh
('vtkUnstructuredGrid'). For instance, try to map a volume (mhd, dicom or
vti) through a DataSetMapper: you will render only the grid of the external
faces! (yes, try it, because I only assume that!).

By reading the doc, I saw that DataSetMapper has a vtkPolyDataMapper as
member. It makes me thinking that this mapper maps *everything* has it was a
polydata (*maybe* building explicit topology when it has to). And a polydata
has no 3D cells such as in vtkUnstructuredGrid. This *could* explain the
behaviour you described.

How can you see the tetrahedron? By using a vtkUnstructuredGripVolumeMapper,
but my knowledge stop here!

HTH
Jerome