[vtkusers] Initialising arrays of pointers to vtkPolyData, etc.

Marcus Thamson markie_thomson at yahoo.de
Mon Dec 7 08:55:42 EST 2009

Dear David,

Many thanks!  - that seems to work fine with the vtkSmartPointer's and the vtkstd::vector.

As an amateur C programmer (who incrementally learns C++ only on a need-to basis), I found the example code (from your link) quite freaky to begin with.
I am now using vtkSmartPointer to make arrays of all the intermediate surface objects (vtkDoubleArray, vtkPolyData, vtkPoints, vtkCellArray, vtkPolyDataMapper,vtkActor) - I hadn't seen code before where one uses the same variable name in a loop over and over, e.g.

 for (is=0; is<Ns;is++) {
 vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> surf = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::New();
}

I guess those pointers really are "smart".  After searching around, it appears that vtkSmartPointer's do not even need to be Delete'd at the end of the code.

Many thanks,
MT

http://mail.yahoo.com