[vtkusers] VTK compiling-question with Code::Blocks

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Dec 1 14:02:47 EST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Frank Blaschke wrote:

>> <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
>>> Just a guess but I do not think vtkWin32VideoSource is compatible
>>> with
>>> MinGW.
>>
>> Frank,
>>
>> The cmake flag VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS can be turned OFF to avoid
>> compilation of this class.  It looks like the header file is missing.
>>
>> I gave up on using mingw, and instead I use nmake and the "express"
>> versions of  the microsoft compilers.  I still love msys, but mingw
>> was too much of a headache, especially for VTK.
>
> Thx.
>
> I need to use VTK and ITK(compiling with codeblocks was successfull
> without any error) under Windows, Linux and Mac, so I was looking
> for an usual compiler for all 3, MinGW I found. Is there an other I
> can use, or is it a Problem to use different compiler in each
> platform? Have I later, when it works to change anything in
> CMakeLists.txt for my project?
>
> Greetings
> Frank

Typically there isn't any "problems" with using different compilers on
different platforms, at least with the packages that you list above.
What might become a problem is how "portable" you write your own code.
Different compilers have different characteristics and sometimes those
characteristics clash between platforms. That said I have had very
good luck using Visual Studio (Both Express and Paid) 2008 on Windows,
OS X Xcode tools, and GCC 4.x on Linux. Your experiences may differ
from mine.

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net