[vtkusers] Adding a synthetic LiDAR scanner to VTK/Paraview

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:47:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM, David Doria
<daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Here is the code modified to fit into the vtk algorithm filter pipeline:
> http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/VTK_List/vtkLidarScanner.zip<http://www.rpi.edu/%7Edoriad/VTK_List/vtkLidarScanner.zip>
>
> and the dataset that the example works with:
> http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/VTK_List/bunny.vtp<http://www.rpi.edu/%7Edoriad/VTK_List/bunny.vtp>
>
> The test is Test/TestScanner.cpp
>
> Please let me know if you have any comments / recommendations / additions
> that should be made.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

I changed the scanner from using the vtkOBBTree to using John Biddiscombe's
new vtkModifiedBSPTree (
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkModifiedBSPTree.html). The speed
improvement is amazing! The scans are now 40-60x faster!!

The new code is here:
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/VTK_List/vtkLidarScanner.zip<http://www.rpi.edu/%7Edoriad/VTK_List/vtkLidarScanner.zip>

Is there a vtk sandbox or something that I can work in instead of mailing
the file to the list each update? Do I need to email the devel list to get
access/code reviews/ etc?

@David Pont - please let me know if your group tries it out / has any
problems or questions

Thanks,