[vtkusers] Number of points in the surface generated from vtkContourFilter

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 7 01:51:23 EDT 2009

No, the point density of the output of contour filter depends on the
density of it's input (image/mesh/what is your input?).

For images it is running marching cubes (squares), and similar
algorithms for other input such as unstructured meshes. The edges of the
input grid are checked for a sign change between the two end points. If
there is a sign change the edge is bisected and a new point is added.
These points define the resulting contour surface.

You would have reduce the resolution of the input (resample if it is an
image), or as you have done use a decimation filter on the output.

/Bryn

Yang, Jinzhong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wonder if there is any way to control the number of points in the
> surface generated from vtkContourFilter. I use vtkContourFilter to
> generate one surface, but the surface has too many points. Currently I
> use vtkDecimationPro to reduce the number of points, but this requires
> extra time.
>
> Thanks a lot if you can help.
>

> -Jinzhong

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory
ETH Zürich, Sternwartstrasse 7, ETF C110
CH - 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 63 26668
Fax: +41 44 63 21199