[vtkusers] [Paraview] qvtk problems with the pipeline

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 1 07:01:24 EDT 2009

Many thanks for the feedback. Pls see below:

Clinton Stimpson wrote:
> Dominik Szczerba wrote:
>> My pipeline works all right and gets updated on demand properly. I
>> achieve it by connecting spinboxes/lineedits etc. to functions that
>> set parameters of my filters before I explicitly hit the final 'apply'
>> button. The annoying problem is that the pipeline gets executed also
>> when I interact with the render window (click to rotate etc.). I did
>> not (intend to) set up such functionality, I want the pipeline to
>> execute only after an explicit button click (like in paraview). How do
>> I find out who is triggering the pipeline behind my back?
>>
>> - Dominik
>>
> ParaView queues up the changes, and only applies them to the filters
> when the apply button is pressed.
> If you're applying them on the filters when spinboxes/lineedits change,
> and a menu comes and goes over the graphics view, that could trigger an
> update you might not want.
>
> How about your apply button gathering the parameters from the widgets on
> the form and applying them?

That was my original idea and implementation: However, this way the
WHOLE pipeline ALWAYS gets re-executed. Concrete example pipeline:
extractVOI->GaussianSmooth. If Apply button gathers the parameters and
sets them to the filters every time, changing e.g. only smoothing params
(while keeping the same VOI) still causes both filters to re-execute.
This should not happen, as VOI should be up to date. The same is true
for more filters, e.g. Threshold: re-feeding the same parameters and/or
arrays to process somehow fools the up-to-date'ness of the filter. Am I
expected to walk around the problem by bookkeeping the changing params
and the up-to-date'ness myself?

Note that this is different to paraview, where you have only one filter
per menu entry and can explicitly request changes. Here I have one
meta-filter, consisting of several atomic ones.

After your remark I feel the original approach was the right one. But
then how do I only request the update if a REAL CHANGE and not only a
FORMAL SET of parameters is the case?

regards,
Dominik

--
d o m i n i k   s z c z e r b a ,   p h d . . . . . . . . . . .
c o m p u t a t i o n a l   l i f e   s c i e n c e   g r o u p