[vtkusers] build vtk libs using Visual Studio 2005 (for dummies)

mschira mark.schira at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:15:21 EDT 2009

Hi Folks
I am trying to build the VTK library for a Windows XP64 system.
Problem is: I have no idea what I am doing.
I have Visual Studio 2005 installed, I have downloaded the source code for
VTK 5.4 and I have read (part of of it at least) the VTK Readme.html

Yea, but I understand no thing.
First it tells me "Run the CMakeSetup dialog to get started." O.K. Would
love to do so, but I just can't find it, nor how to run it if I would find
it,.
Then it reads "It must be executed from an environment configured to run the
compiler to be used."
???
further:
"In the case of the Visual Studio IDE no special environment is needed and
CMakeSetup can be started from its icon."  O.K. that SOUNDS like I'll have
to find this icon. Is it a file? because I can't find a file called
CMakeSetup.
Sorry but I am really lost here.

I actually have a rough idea how to compile things using the gcc in linux,
with CMake and all these things. But Visual Studio 2005? I am SOOOOO lost.
Cheers
Mark

I need VTK because ultimately I want to compile a function that I need for
matlab,  (compiling with the mex command).
This shouldn't bother you, but it may explain why I have no idea how C++
works, but still need to use it.