[vtkusers] non-manifold edges in output of vtkDecimatePro

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 30 08:21:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am using following code to decimate a surface mesh:

  vtkNew(vtkDecimatePro,decimate);
   decimate->SetInput(reader->GetOutput());
   decimate->SetTargetReduction(target);
   decimate->SetFeatureAngle(angle);
   decimate->PreserveTopologyOn();
   decimate->SplittingOff();
   decimate->PreSplitMeshOff();
   decimate->BoundaryVertexDeletionOff();

The output can be a broken surface mesh: There are non-manifold edges in
the output of vtkDecimatePro. Additionally there are duplicate
triangles.

The input comes from running marching cubes on a vtkStructuredPoints.
According to my test routines it is a good triangle mesh (i.e. NO
non-manifold edges etc.)

Must I set a parameter of vtkDecimatePro differently, or is this a bug?
Is there actually a guarantee that vtkDecimatePro will not break my mesh?

Thanks for any help

Bryn

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory