[vtkusers] Creating a 3D surface mesh from a stack of contours

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 29 08:10:29 EDT 2009

Hi Joel,

use vtkLinearExtrusionFilter on your polyline to

make it into a thin ribbon/surface

before passing it on to vtkPolyDataToImageStecil.

See VTK/Examples/GUI/Tcl/ImageTracerWidget.tcl

as an example.  You could also look at ITK's

itkAntiAliasBinaryImageFilter.  There is

an example of how to use it here:

http://www.itk.org/ITK/applications/AntiAliasBinaryImageFilterExample.html

Dean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dean Inglis, PhD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~ Center for Appendicular ~~~~~

Magnetic Resonance Imaging Studies

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

610 - 25 Charlton Ave. E.

Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 1Y2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assistant Professor (Adjunct)

Department of Civil Engineering

McMaster University

Hamilton, Ontario

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Software Demos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYNtHC9-0s

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a 3D surface mesh from a stack of 2D contours created
from a semi-manual contouring platform I have no control on. For now I have
succesfully converted the contours to vtk polylines. My idea is to binarize
the the polylines, and to run a marching cubes on the resulting binary
volume.

Unfortunately, vtkPolyDataToImageStencil doesn't work for polylines. So
before I start coding a polyline binarizer, would anyone have a better idea,
or such a binarizer in stock? (the code will be integrated into the
open-source 4D viewer vv)

Thanks,

joel