[vtkusers] Geovis kit

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Wed Apr 22 13:07:32 EDT 2009

> I just ran across mention of this kit which would
> be useful since my data is GIS. The latest books
> I own for VTK 5 make no mention of it, is there
> somewhere on the web where I could get an over
> view of the kit and how to use it while I order the
> new books?
Hi Ray,

The Geovis kit is new and still evolving so the
documentation is more along the lines of background
research than formal user documentation. See

  http://kitware.com/InfovisWiki/index.php/EarthKit

for an overview. The main use case we are dealing
with right now is drawing graphs whose nodes have
geographic coordinates. That work is done but we
are still adding contextual information such as
place names and area highlights (e.g., political
boundaries) to the underlying maps. There is still
some user interaction work to be done. Any
constructive criticism would be welcome.

If you have specific questions about how to handle
a use case, please let me know. There are some
examples in the Geovis/Testing/Cxx directory. Running
the tests with "-I -D /path/to/VTKData" flags should
give you a chance to play with them.

    David