[vtkusers] Splitting geometry and attribute data across multiple xml files

David.Pont at scionresearch.com David.Pont at scionresearch.com
Tue Apr 21 18:48:47 EDT 2009

Me again, I am posting this on behalf of a colleauge:

I would like to write data into xml files for vizualisation.

for example the data could be :
- a mesh:
  - set of points
  - set of cells
- some "pointData" fields.

from the vtk documentation 'file-formats.pdf',
I wrote an xml file (allData.vtu) which contains all the data:
---------------
<VTKFile type="UnstructuredGrid" version="0.1">
  <UnstructuredGrid>
    <Piece NumberOfPoints="Np" NumberOfCells="Nc">
      <PointData Scalars="s1" Vectors="v1">
        <DataArray type="Float32" Name="s1" NumberOfComponents="1"
format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
        <DataArray type="Float32" Name="s2" NumberOfComponents="1"
format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
        <DataArray type="Float32" Name="v1" NumberOfComponents="3"
format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
      </PointData>
      <Points>
        <DataArray type="Float32" Name="vertices" NumberOfComponents="3"
format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
      </Points>
      <Cells>
        <DataArray type="UInt32" Name="connectivity" format="ascii">
        </DataArray>
            <DataArray type="UInt64" Name="offsets" format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
            <DataArray type="UInt8" Name="types" format="ascii">
            </DataArray>
      </Cells>
    </Piece>
  </UnstructuredGrid>
</VTKFile>
---------------

What i would like to do it is to split the data into several files to avoid
redundancy, ie keep the same mesh but variable scalar, vector etc, data.
The reason is the actual data sets will be very large and while attribute
data can change the mesh will not.

for example something like:
- main.vtu (all the definitions with pointers to 'mesh.vtu', 's1.vtu', ...)
- mesh.vtu (Points + Cells)
- s1.vtu (PointData s1)
- s2.vtu (PointData s2)
- v1.vtu (PointData v1)

I did not find the syntax to do this, if someone could help me ?.

thanks, Benoit (via Dave)