[vtkusers] 8 bit data volume rendering (in 'Medical' Sample)?

Divya Rathore divyarathore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 02:04:30 EDT 2009

Thanks Jerome.

If we look at the sample code (Medical1.cxx):

  // The following reader is used to read a series of 2D slices (images)
  // that compose the volume. The slice dimensions are set, and the
  // pixel spacing. The data Endianness must also be specified. The reader
  // usese the FilePrefix in combination with the slice number to construct
  // filenames using the format FilePrefix.%d. (In this case the FilePrefix
  // is the root name of the file: quarter.)
  vtkVolume16Reader *v16 = vtkVolume16Reader::New();
    v16->SetDataDimensions (64,64);
    v16->SetImageRange (1,93);
    v16->SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian();
    v16->SetFilePrefix (argv[1]);
    v16->SetDataSpacing (3.2, 3.2, 1.5);

It uses vtkVolume16Reader to read the 16 bit files. I would like to know the
8 bit counterpart of this class. If not, any other class that can read
multiple 8 bit files in a similar manner.

regards,
D Rathore

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Jérôme <jerome.velut at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used to write short VTK python scripts for processing high number of
> files. In your case, it could be a simple loop on our files that, for each,
> do
> - Read
> - Cast to unsigned char (vtkImageCast -> be careful of type conversion.
> vtkImageShiftScale could be another solution)
> - Write
>
> If I understood your problem...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jerome
>
> 2009/4/19 Divya Rathore <divyarathore at gmail.com>
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was using Medical sample with Visual C++.
>> It takes 16 bit files in the format xxx.1, xxx.2, xxx.3 etc. All works to
>> taste.
>>
>> The Problem - How can I supply it 8 bit files? I have around 800 files and
>> converting them to 16 bit will double the data size - too huge for my
>> graphics card.
>>
>> regards,

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson
and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a
lesson."