[vtkusers] Render() Timing/synchronization

Paul massivemonkeymayhem at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:16:51 EDT 2009

Hey. I'm using VTK to do real-time visualization of spatial data as it is
collected. I have a loop where the data is updated, the VTK views tied to
the data are updated (typically vtkImageReslice's), then the whole thing is
rendered at once. I'm also updating transformation matrices to position
everything into "world" coordinates.

Essentially I don't want the Render() result to display anything until the
VTK objects have finished updating, then for everything to display at once,
as opposed to piece-by-piece. For instance, I don't want transformation
matrices tied to the vtkImageReslice actor to move the slice before the
image in the slice itself is updated.

Is there a special flag in vtkRenderer that forces Render() to wait for all
objects to update before updating the viewport, or a suitable
double-buffering technique in VTK?

Thanks in advance,

Paul