[vtkusers] how to query all available shader variables of a loaded material

Fangerau Markus m.fangerau at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Wed Apr 15 07:42:13 EDT 2009

Hello,

In our application the user can apply shaders on a surface by selecting
an xml material from a drop-down box.

But I also want the user to be able to edit the specific shader uniforms
(variables)

My question is now:

Is there a clean/future-proof way to query all available shader variable
names and their types

from a vtkProperty that has a material w/shader loaded?

The only solution I found was manually parsing the xml file,

or maybe by traversing the associated vtkXMLMaterial.

But I am worried about future changes/extensions to the vtk XML Material
format.

Thanks in advance,

Markus