[vtkusers] vtkTIFFReader

Robert Haines rhaines at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Apr 7 04:12:22 EDT 2009

Hi,

> I've tried to build vtk with the system's libtiff.so (which is 3.8.2)
> but this didn't change anything.
>
> My machine is 64bit. Could this be part of the problem? If yes, is it
> possible to use the 32bit versions of libtiff (which are also
> installed
> o n my machine)?

If you want to link in a 32bit library you will need to compile the
whole of VTK as 32bit to do so. You mention in your other mail that
GIMP can read the images. Is GIMP a 32bit app? Does GIMP use the
system libtiff.so or does it have it's own version?

If GIMP is 64bit and uses the system libtiff.so then I would suspect
that the bug is in VTK somewhere. I would have thought that 64bit
machines have been around for long enough now that it shouldn't be a
64bit issue though!

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert Haines

Research Associate, RealityGrid          Tel. : +44 (0)161 275 6067
Research Computing Services              Fax. : +44 (0)161 275 0637
University of Manchester                 Email: rhaines at manchester.ac.uk
Oxford Road                              Web  : www.realitygrid.org
Manchester, M13 9PL                           : www.rcs.manchester.ac.uk