[vtkusers] vtkTIFFReader

Roger Blum rogerblum at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 5 04:49:45 EDT 2009

Hi Everybody,

I'm working on updating a major vtk/Tcl application to the latest
versions (from vtk 4.4, -> vtk 5.4 and Tcl 8.4 to Tcl 8.5).

So far I have made good progress and most things seem to work unchanged.

The only thing I had to change was the the CopyAllOn method of
vtkPointData objects which now takes a parameter.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the vtkTIFFReader which I
use heavily for reading geographic maps.
Does anyone know if something has changed in the TIFF reader which would
cause the reading of the files to fail?

The files can be opened by opened by GIMP and other applications without
problems.

The following code snippet shows how I used the TIFF reader in the
working version of the application

    set mapReader [vtkTIFFReader mapReader1000]
    $mapReader SetFileDimensionality 2
    $mapReader SetNumberOfScalarComponents 4
    $mapReader SetDataByteOrder 1
    $mapReader SetDataScalarType 3
    $mapReader SetFileName $fileName
    $mapReader Update

This fails with vtk 5.4. For some files I get an error message

ERROR: In /home/roger/downloads/VTK/IO/vtkTIFFReader.cxx, line 1334
vtkTIFFReader (0x166fe90): Problem reading the row: 319

For others there is no message at all. The map is simply not shown.

Thanks in advance,
Roger