[vtkusers] pls help pls helppls help pls help how to manipulate Data

frency v frencyvarghese at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 09:45:18 EDT 2009

Hello
I am using VTK to visualize a stack of binary data ((.raw )see
code below).  Now I would like to interactively manipulate the data;
e.g., when the left mouse button is pressed, I would like to divide all
data values by two (i.e. if v(x,y,z) is the value of the data in the
file at position (x,y,z), I want to perform the operation
v(x,y,z)=v(x,y,z)/2 for all x,y,z). I know how to write a callback
function, but I don't know how to access data that have been read in
with vtkVolume16 reader.  Is it maybe possible to introduce a new
element into the VTK pipeline between the vtkVolume16Reader and the
vtkContourFilter, some kind of container that allows data manipulation?

Thank you,

Frency Varghese

Here is the code:

#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkRenderWindow.h"
#include
 "vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h"
#include "vtkVolume16Reader.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataMapper.h"
#include "vtkActor.h"
#include "vtkOutlineFilter.h"
#include "vtkCamera.h"
#include "vtkProperty.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataNormals.h"
#include "vtkContourFilter.h"
#include "vtkPolyDataWriter.h"

#include "vtkStructuredPointsWriter.h"

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
 if (argc < 2)
   {
     cout << "Usage: " << argv[0] << " " << endl;
   return 1;
   }

 // Create the renderer, the render window, and the interactor. The renderer
 // draws into the render window, the interactor enables mouse- and
 // keyboard-based interaction with the data within the render window.

 vtkRenderer *aRenderer = vtkRenderer::New();
 vtkRenderWindow *renWin =
 vtkRenderWindow::New();
   renWin->AddRenderer(aRenderer);
   vtkRenderWindowInteractor *iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor::New();
   iren->SetRenderWindow(renWin);

 // The following reader is used to read a series of 2D slices (images)
 // that compose the volume. The slice dimensions are set, and the pixel spacing.

 vtkVolume16Reader *v16 = vtkVolume16Reader::New();
   v16->SetDataDimensions (54,47);
   v16->SetImageRange (1,63);
   v16->SetDataByteOrderToLittleEndian();
   v16->SetFilePrefix (argv[1]);
   v16->SetDataSpacing (1,1,1.5);

// An isosurface, or contour value of 100 is known to correspond to the
 //skin of the patient. Once generated, a vtkPolyDataNormals filter is
 // is used to create normals for smooth surface shading during
 rendering.

 vtkContourFilter *skinExtractor = vtkContourFilter::New();
   skinExtractor->SetInputConnection(v16->GetOutputPort());
  skinExtractor->SetValue(100,100);
 vtkPolyDataNormals *skinNormals = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
   skinNormals->SetInputConnection(skinExtractor->GetOutputPort());
   skinNormals->SetFeatureAngle(60);
 vtkPolyDataMapper *skinMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
   skinMapper->SetInputConnection(skinNormals->GetOutputPort());
   skinMapper->ScalarVisibilityOff();
 vtkActor *skin = vtkActor::New();
  skin->SetMapper(skinMapper);

// An outline provides context around the data.

 vtkOutlineFilter *outlineData = vtkOutlineFilter::New();
   outlineData->SetInputConnection(v16->GetOutputPort());
 vtkPolyDataMapper *mapOutline =
 vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
   mapOutline->SetInputConnection(outlineData->GetOutputPort());
 vtkActor *outline = vtkActor::New();
   outline->SetMapper(mapOutline);
   outline->GetProperty()->SetColor(0,0,0);

 vtkCamera *aCamera = vtkCamera::New();
   aCamera->SetViewUp (0, 0, -1);
   aCamera->SetPosition (0, 1, 0);
   aCamera->SetFocalPoint (0, 0, 0);
   aCamera->ComputeViewPlaneNormal();

 // Actors are added to the renderer. An initial camera view is created.
 // The Dolly() method moves the camera towards the FocalPoint,thereby //enlarging the image.
 aRenderer->AddActor(outline);
 aRenderer->AddActor(skin);
 aRenderer->SetActiveCamera(aCamera);
 aRenderer->ResetCamera ();
 aCamera->Dolly(1.5);

 // Set a background
 color for the renderer and set the size of the render //window
(expressed in pixels).
 aRenderer->SetBackground(1,1,1);
 renWin->SetSize(500, 500);

 // Note that when camera movement occurs (as it does in the Dolly() method), the
// clipping planes often need adjusting. Clipping planes
 // consist of two planes: near and far along the view direction. The near plane //clips out objects in front of the plane; the far plane clips out objects behind the //plane. This way only what is drawn between the planes is actually rendered.

aRenderer->ResetCameraClippingRange ();

 // Initialize the event loop and then start it.
   iren->Initialize();
   iren->Start();

// It is important to delete all objects created previously to prevent
 // memory leaks. In this case, since the program is on its way
 // exiting, it is not so important. But in applications it is essential.
 v16->Delete();
 skinExtractor->Delete();
 skinMapper->Delete();
 skin->Delete();