[vtkusers] How to build vtk-5.3.x 64-bit for Mac OS X 10.5.5 with Cocoa bindings

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Fri Sep 26 07:40:11 EDT 2008

You should be able to change the CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to
x86_64;ppc64 if you want a universal binary 64 bit. That _should_ work.

I would set that and then start the build. Stop the build after the
first few libraries are built and run the "file" command on one of the
libraries. The output from that command will tell you if it is working
or not.

If that does NOT work then 2 things:

Submit a bug report and then fall back to setting the CMAKE_C_FLAGS
and CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS to use -arch x86_64 and try again.

The first method really should work. I know people use it all the
time. Take a look at the vtk dashboards for OS X 64 bit. You should be
able to get the settings from those dashboards.

Mike Jackson