[vtkusers] no actor required for volume redering using vtkImagePlaneWidget?;

Hua-Mei Chen huameichen0523 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:30:20 EDT 2008

Hi,

   I spent a day to learn how to use vtkImagePlaneWidget to render an image volume from the InsightApplication "itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK". Now I can do what I planned to do. However, I have a question in my mind that bothers me a lot. I hope someone can answer my question or at least direct me to some references.

 My basic knowledge tells me that every renderer needs at least one actor/object associated with it. However, when I used vtkImagePlaneWidget to view a 3d volume, no actor/object was really added to the renderer created. I am wondering that how the renderer knows which actor/object to render? The only hint I can perceive is that the actor/object to be rendered is set as input to each ImagePlaneWidget and each ImagePlaneWidget is associated with one RenderWindowInteractor which in turn gets connected with the renderer. Is this how the renderer connected with the actor/object?  If yes, is this a common mechanism used in VTK (it is quite different from the cone examples)? Is there any similar example available?

Chen