[vtkusers] Collaboration on macport for VTK 5.2.0

Simon Wilson lists at xeosdd.net
Fri Sep 19 19:54:46 EDT 2008

On 19/09/08 11:38 AM, "Darren Weber" <darren.weber.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on adapting a macport called vtk5 to work with VTK 5.2.0
> (see current version attached - a work in progress).  If anyone else
> is using macports or building VTK for OSX (10.5 or otherwise), please
> get in contact so we can develop a nice macport for the 5.2.0 release.
>  I could use a lot of help to code and test different variants of the
> build configuration in the Portfile.  I've already contacted previous
> maintainers of the vtk macport and they are not available to continue
> the work.
>
> Thanks, Darren
>
> PS, I put the file attached into ~/ports/graphics/vtk5 and run
> portindex from ~/ports/ to make this port available for testing on my
> local system.  It is not ready for integration into macports, without
> further testing.

Hi Darren,

I've only just switched to MacPorts from several years of using Fink. This
is on a MBP with 10.5.5, recently formatted and with few applications
installed.

-------------
sim at carboxyl ~ $ sudo port
MacPorts 1.600
Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[Users/sim] > search vtk
VTK                  graphics/vtk   4.2.6        3D visualization toolkit
vtk5                 graphics/vtk5  5.0.3        3D visualization toolkit
vtk_5.2.0            graphics/vtk5  5.2.0        3D visualization toolkit
(www.vtk.org)
[Users/sim] > install vtk_5.2.0
--->  Fetching vtk_5.2.0
--->  Attempting to fetch vtk-5.2.0.tar.gz from
http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/
--->  Attempting to fetch vtkdata-5.2.0.tar.gz from
http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.2/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for vtk_5.2.0
--->  Extracting vtk_5.2.0
--->  Configuring vtk_5.2.0
--->  Building vtk_5.2.0 with target all
--->  Staging vtk_5.2.0 into destroot
Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: error copying
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_sim_Library_ports_graphics_vtk5/work/V
TK/bin/CommonCxxTests": no such file or directory
[Users/sim] >
-------------

Looks like you either want to enable BUILD_EXAMPLES (or BUILD_TESTING?), or
disable the "Provide some examples" section in post-destroot. I removed the
copy steps, and everything seems to build and install ok, as far as port is
concerned.

But then when it comes to running the "vtk" command, for example, I get the
following:

-------------
sim at carboxyl /opt/local/lib/vtk-5.2 $ vtk
dyld: Library not loaded:
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_Users_sim_Library_ports_graphics_vtk5/work/VT
K/bin/libvtkVolumeRenderingTCL.5.2.dylib
Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/vtk
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

I'm not especially experienced with either cmake or macports, but it seems
to me that you probably need to specify the RPATH stuff somewhere inside the
Portfile. Since port calls "make install" into the temporary build
directory, executables expect to find the libraries there instead of the
final /opt/local tree.

I'm happy to test future versions for you.

Simon Wilson